Industry Strategic Science and Technology Plans (ISPs) Platform

Rubber Industry Profile

Rubber is one of the most popular agro-industrial crops in Southeast and South Asia. Major countries producing rubber worldwide include Thailand, Indonesia, Vietnam, China and India. Scientifically known as Hevea brasiliensis, the rubber tree is a robust perennial crop with natural rubber (NR) as its main product. Majority of rubber production in the Philippines is sourced from Mindanao, wherein the country ranked 10th in the world in terms of natural rubber production back in 2014. As of 2021, the top rubber-producing province in the country is Cotabato with over 143 thousand MT of coagulated cup lump produced. This is followed by Zamboanga Sibugay and Basilan with 117,314 MT and 76,433 MT, respectively. On the other hand, the top producing regions are Zamboanga Peninsula, SOCCSKSARGEN and BARMM.

Rubber tires for vehicles are considered to be a highly demanded product of NR. In 2014, demand for tires accounted for around 72 percent of global rubber demand, while the remaining 28 percent were recorded from sales of products such as belts and hose, thread and foam, and general rubber goods and non-tire products.

Problems in the Industry

Despite the marketing potentials for natural rubber, its production has consistently been unable to cope with increasing demand. The following factors were identified by the Rubber Industry Roadmap (2016-2022) as challenges needed to be addressed:

  • Lack of research for industry data and rubber products;
  • Lack of promotion and recognition both in the local and international markets;
  • Lack of quality planting materials;
  • Low productivity and price of NR;
  • Non-adoption of Philippine National Standards for NR;
  • Non-ISO certified processors; and
  • Lack of public and private institutions to support and enhance promotional activities.

Rubber Policies

Rubber Programs

ISP for Rubber

The Rubber ISP aims to address the supply chain problems of the industry through S&T interventions such as:

  • Varietal improvement and selection through barcoding of high yielding clones (HYCs)
  • Rapid clonal mass propagation techniques and use of root trainer in nursery production
  • Rapid mapping of existing plantations and suitable areas using RS/GIS
  • Computer-based Decision Support System (DSS) for species-site compatibility
  • Package of technology in nursery and plantation management of HYCs in nontraditional rubber production areas
  • Optimized rehabilitation techniques for senescent rubber trees and production system through rubber-based agroforestry system in National Greening Program sites
  • Integrated Pest Management (IPM) control of rubber Phytopthora using biocontrol agents and biopesticides (effective microorganisms)
  • Optimized rubber latex harvesting/tapping and coagulation techniques through training of new rubber tappers and tapper trainors

Strategic R&D

Strategic R&D is DOST-PCAARRD’s banner program comprising all R&D activities that are intended to
generate outputs geared towards maximum economic and social benefits


Products, equipment, and protocols or process innovations developed to improve productivity, efficiency,
quality, and profitability in the agriculture and aquatic industries, and to achieve sustainable
utilization and management of natural resources

Technology Transfer Initiatives

Technology transfer initiatives ensure that the outputs of R&D and innovations are transformed
into viable and applicable technologies that help intended users

Capacity Building

Capacity building efforts of DOST-PCAARRD seek to develop and enhance the R&D capabilities of researchers
and academic or research institutions through graduate assistantships & non-degree trainings
and development and/or upgrading of research facilities

Manpower Development